Skip to main content
Mor Çatı Women's Shelter Foundation

When you are subjected to domestic violence…

By 17 May 2013No Comments

When you are subjected to domestic violence, you must go to the nearest police or gendarmerie station in your area and have your minute taken regarding the incident you experienced. Also you need to be referred to a health clinic for your examination to be made.  It is essential to have a physical examination before the scars on your body disappear.  For this reason be insistent on being  referred to the hospital, before your minute is taken .

While your minute is  being prepared by the police, tell the incident you experienced in details and never sign the written report without reading.  If your statement of fact  is recorded incorrect or incomplete by the police, do ask for correction and sign it afterwards. Regarding the protocol signed between the Ministry of Women and Family Affairs and  the Ministry of Interior, criminal action should be taken against the police officers  not taking the minute. In case the police officer does not take the minute, remind the protocol to the police officer and tell him that he/she is inconsiderate of his/her duty. Make sure to get a sample of the record signed by the police officer for your own use.

It is also possible to apply to the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office directly with a petition instead of Police Station.Also if the violator is your spouse or other family member, you can apply to the Family Court for his banishment from home.  Principally, Public Prosecutor who knows the incident must apply to the Family Court himself for the appropriate measures to be taken.

If you go to the hospital first, it is also possible to state your complaint to the hospital police.  Even if you have not decided whether to make a complaint, you may still go to the hospital to share your status with your doctor and ask for your examination to be made and to have your state recorded. Doctors are obliged to keep the secrets of the patient.

Institutions You Can Apply

  • Police Stations, gendarmerie stations
  • Health institutions
  • Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office
  • Provincial and District Directorates of Social Services
  • Alo (Hello) 183 (Family, Women, Children and Disability Social Services Hotline)
  • Municipality’s Women’s Counseling Centers
  • Bar Associations and Legal Aid Boards of Women’s Counseling Centers
  • Women’s organizations

Emergency Numbers

  • Police Emergency – 155
  • Gendarmerie – 156
  • Ambulance -112
  • Social Services – 183
  • Domestic Violence Emergency Helpline-0212 656 96 96

You must make a plan as;


  1. If you decide to leave the house, I can go to the following places______________.
  2. If I need to leave to house quickly, I can put a bag aside and hide it. (There should be money, important documents, some clothes and keys inside this bag.)
  3. I can talk about the violence to ________ and in case the violence starts I can ask them to call the police.
  4. For my children, friends and my family to call help for me, I can use this parole between us:__________
  5. In case the quarrel starts, I can go to this room which is more secure:______________
  6. To feel more secure, I will open a separate bank account on this date: _____________
  7. I will record the important phone numbers to _______________.
  8. I will keep a telephone card or coins handy to be able to make phone calls. As the numbers will appear in the next month’s phone bill, I won’t make post-paid mobile phone calls. If I use the phone of women’s refuge, I can put their risk in danger.
  9. The people who I can borrow money from are:_____________
  10. I will make rehearsal of my escape plan with my children.
  11. I will keep all the stuff which I need to take with me all together in a place easy to find.

These are:

  • Identity cards
  • Identity cards of my children
  • Health Card/Green Card
  • Tenancy Agreement
  • Land Title
  • Driving License
  • Money
  • Bankbooks
  • Passport
  • Home and car keys
  • Insurance documents / policies
  • Medications
  • Address book
  • Family members of the medical records
  • Children’s favourite toys
  • Small sellable objects
  • Photos
  • Evidence of Violence (Report, photos, diary, letter, etc.).
  • Spare clothes for myself and my children
  • Other items that is important for me

If you are in need of going to a shelter, you need to apply to the Provincial Directorate of Social Services in your province and share the experience you have been through and express your demand for shelter.

Some municipalities also have shelters.  You may contact Family Counselling Center or Public Relations Director in your area of municipality and benefit from these kinds of supports that they have to provide legally. Besides, you may call the women’s solidarity centres in your area of municipality and get support both for yourself and your child. Many centres can provide legal and psychological support. In addition, consulting with someone makes you feel stronger and realize that you are not alone. You may obtain detailed information regarding the support you will get as well.


Leave a Reply